Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Walking around the Lower East Side

fence on median park



water tower shadow projected onto blank billboard




There was a lot to see and a lot to forget. Mary Heilman's 1970s doors were exciting, as was the shadow of a water tower on a blank billboard.

Elizabeth Peyton made me want to vomit. Everyone who knows me know I have my impolitic moments, usually at parties, but sometimes in the ether. This may be one of them, but I doubt she's one of my readers. Way back when I was moved by the Kurt Cobain show. It seemed to capture the smallness of being a fan. Also I was 24 and a bereft Nirvana fan myself. But by now smallness doesn't even begin to describe the scope of this project. Which honestly seems to be just to make a marketable brand, and to excuse it by piggybacking on other marketable brands.

Art should be more.

But it was a gorgeous day.